Babies younger than 6 months are at high risk for serious complications from the flu. Because they are too young to be vaccinated, consider the following steps to help protect your baby:
- Get flu vaccine for yourself
- Make sure caregivers and siblings older than 6 months are vaccinated
- Keep baby away from others who are sick
- Wash hands frequently and cover a cough
- Clean frequently touched surfaces in home
If your child becomes ill, check with your pediatrician before giving over-the-counter medication. When recommended, measure liquid medication with provided syringe, dropper or measuring cup. If none comes with medication, request one from your pharmacist or pediatrician. Never use a kitchen spoon to measure medication.